Re: kilns

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
L Skeen (lpskeen@living-tree.net)
Mon, 06 Dec 1999 11:09:23 -0500

LMiller435 wrote:

> Have you heard of L &L kilns. I've been looking at the da Vinci model.
>
> My school system came up with money in a year of almost famine for us. I
> liked what I saw of the da Vinci. It was recommended by Sheffield Pottery.
> Seems like it will last a long while.

Hi Leslie,
The big selling point for the L&L kiln is that it has ceramic coil holders
between the bricks that are supposed to keep you from crumbling your
insulation bricks when changing coils. Also, some models have a coil in the
floor of the kiln; I don't know about the daVinci specifically. L&L is a good
brand but expensive. Those coil holders are nice but not really necessary if
you learn the proper way to change your coils. Also, the one person I know
who has an L&L is not happy with how the rings of his kiln fit together.
Apparently he can see the red at full power between the rings.

I don't know where you are, but if you are in NC, SC or Southern VA I can hook
you up with THE MAN in kiln repair, and he will show you how to change the
coils w/ no trouble. He can also get you a deal on a kiln.

In an earlier posting I think I recommended Bailey's Ceramic Supply in
Florida. I had the name wrong (I mix them up that all the time), it's
BENNET's pottery supply in Florida. They have the best prices on equipment in
the States. Bailey's is in NY.

Lisa