Re: Sony JamCam

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Robert Alexander Fromme (rfromme)
Sun, 05 Dec 1999 23:09:10 -0600

At 06:54 PM 12/5/99 EST, you wrote:
>Has anyone out ther tried the sony jamcam. I saw it a Costco's for $79.
>Since my budget won't allow a higher priced camera I was wondering if it any
>good.
>susan in mi

Susan,

In my opion, this product is a rip-off. Months ago, someone on the list
mentioned the thing and I was a sucker. The thing is not worth the plastic
that it is made of. The rebate deadline which it advertised at that time
was set so soon after the purchase date that only a few speedy purchasers
will be able to save on the purchase price. I did not realize the short
deadline and did not get to take advantage of the rebate The quality of
the image is less then functional. It is small (only a couple inches) and it
is usually out of focus. Needless to say, I would not buy the thing if I
had it to do over again. Save your money and buy a high resoluton digital
camera. My Jam Cam is in the storeroom , catching dust, remindiing me of my
foolishness each time I walk by it. . In other words, I wouldn't walk
accross the room to kick a JamCam.

On the other hand, I recently purchased a referbished Olympus D600L on UBID
for $460.00 and am very pleased with the quality of the image and the
operaton of the product. The images can be taken at three levels of
resolution, super high quality, high quality and normal. SHQ images come in
at 17.778 X 14.222 at 72 PPI ( 6.4 X 5.12 at 200 PPI). With these kinds of
resolution, one can do some serious digital imaging, and photograping
traditional media art projects by students for the web is a snap. The
thing eats up AA batteries so I have had to invest in NMH rechargables and a
charger, as well as an AC Adapter for the studio use.

Bob