Re: Asian Dragons as an Art topic

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sharon Heneborn (heneborn)
Sun, 05 Dec 1999 18:38:35 -0500

--MS_Mac_OE_3027263916_144493812_MIME_Part

There is a Time Life series which includes a volume on Dragons. I t
is a collection of dragon art from a wide variety cultures. It is out
of print but you may find it in a library. My colleague paid
$50 for a copy from a used book search company. It is worth it.

The Asian dragon is interesting from the point of view of symbols.
For instance 5 toes is an Emperor's dragon - 4toes a noble person and
3 toes is the common persons dragon. The Asian dragon is made up of
specific animal parts in a specific combination. I don't have the
info at home so I will not venture a guess.

What I have done with this is to have the students design a personal
dragon combining animal and human parts. Once we used colored and
silver foil paper and cut/glued the parts and used sharpie markers to
scale and color luminescent creatures. I had forgotten these great
creations! Time to do it again

Sharon from NJ
--To respond to me directly click on heneborn

From: "Paul & Helen" <meachie>
Subject: Asian Dragons as an Art topic
Date: Sun, Dec 5, 1999, 3:44 PM

I am an Art/Design teacher in an Australian High School teaching Years
8 - 12 (Approximately 13 -18 year olds)
I am wanting to develop a unit of work on Dragons (preferably Asian
Dragons) as part of my post graduate degree studies in Asian
Studies/Education.
--MS_Mac_OE_3027263916_144493812_MIME_Part

Re: Asian Dragons as an Art topic There is a Time Life series which includes a volume on Dragons.  I t i= s a collection of dragon art from a wide variety cultures.  It is out o= f print but you may find it in a library.  My colleague paid
$50  for a copy from a used book search company.  It is worth it.=

The Asian dragon is interesting from the point of view of symbols.  Fo= r instance 5 toes is an Emperor's dragon - 4toes a noble person and 3 toes i= s the common persons dragon.   The Asian dragon is made up of spec= ific animal parts in a specific combination.  I don't have the info at = home so I will not venture a guess.

What I have done with this is to have the students design a personal dragon= combining animal and human parts.  Once we used colored and silver foi= l paper and cut/glued the parts and used sharpie markers to scale and color = luminescent creatures.   I had forgotten these great creations! &n= bsp;Time to do it again