Re: complementary colors

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Litesal (litesal)
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 12:38:02 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: christine kotarsky <ernst85>
To: ArtsEdNet Talk <artsednet>
Sent: Sunday, December 05, 1999 10:53 AM
Subject: complementary colors

> I need some ideads if someone out there can help. I had done a lesson on
> complementary colors and we made the American flag related to Jasper
Johns.
> I'd like to do another lesson with third grade using complementary colors.
> Can anyone help? We have been talking about color for some time now. Also
> does anyone have a good website on Native American masks? The 4th and 5th
> grades will be making masks using a shoe box as the base.

Dear Christine (and all),

I do a simple winter complementary color lesson with second grade, but I
think it would be o.k. for third, too.
The objectives are to be able to cut lacy snowflake shapes and to be able to
pick out complementary color sets. The student chooses two each of a set of
complementary color squares (like, two orange and two blue). Then they cut
one of each of the colors into a lacy snowflake (in this example, one blue
and one orange snowflake). The snowflakes are mounted on their complement,
then both squares are mounted on on sheet of construction paper. This is
more just to identify the sets of complements, but I thought I'd share
anyway.

Another lesson I do is a shaded snow man, this I do in third grade. I chose
the snowman shape because the spheres are good objects to shade, and I
didn't want the lesson to focus on complicated drawing skills. First we
draw our snowman. Then we practice mixing complements with watercolors to
make gray. We try all three sets so we can decide which gray we like best
(NO BLACK ALLOWED). Next we apply the gray to the spheres for our modeled
shadow. After the paint dries, we add any details we want using paint or
markers. We then cut out the snowman. We paint a background, then attach
the snowman with folded paper behind it so that it pops out (at this point,
we also add a cast shadow). Obviously there are many lessons here, and it
takes several classes, but there is a definite complementary color
connection.

Sincerely, Leah