Re: Hans Holbein & King Henry VIII <LYR4069-3177-1999.12.05-04.42.05--apeshet#pacbell.net

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Alix E. Peshette (apeshet)
Sun, 05 Dec 1999 08:27:42 -0800

Hi Francis,
As I remember the story, Hans Holbein became smitten with Anne
of Cleves as he was painting her. The portrait says more about his
feelings for her than any political motives. Henry VIII was furious
when he finally met the lady and nick-named her the "Cow of
Flanders." Needless to say, the marriage didn't go well and he
ended up divorcing her and making her something similar to his
sister in rank. She was kept in a separate palace; a sad and
lonely women. All of this is much better than being beheaded! I
suppose, because she was a foreign princess, he couldn't get
away with executing her.

Sorry I can't remember where I read this, it was too long ago.

Alix Peshette
Emerson Junior High School
Davis, CA