Re: First-time Painters..an objective choice

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Litesal (litesal)
Sat, 4 Dec 1999 20:33:21 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Dennis Morris <theartboss>
To: ArtsEdNet Talk <artsednet>
Sent: Saturday, November 27, 1999 6:10 PM
Subject: Re: First-time Painters..an objective choice

> I tell my students we don't make mistakes. A mistake
> is really a problem to be solved and all problems have
> solutions.
> Dennis theartboss
>
> -
> > Aaarrrrghhhhhh! My HS students are the same! And
> > if they see
> > _me_ make a "mistake" during a demo, they assume I'm
> > a bad
> > artist. They honestly believe that "artists don't
> > make
> > mistakes."
> >
> > Maggie

Dear Colleagues,

I actually enjoy making "mistakes" during demonstrations. It gives me the
opportunity to show students my process of art making. I show them how I
correct as I go, without giving the work up, and throwing it away (something
that they tend to do if I don't stop them!). I also often hold up, or point
to one of my paintings or drawings in the room, and tell students how long
it took to complete (their jaws drop in amazement). I then go into detailed
descriptions about certain passages in the work, describing the layers of
paint, my personal thought processes, and how I decided the area was
"finished." This type of sharing of my personal struggle and triumph goes a
long way in convincing my elementary students that art making is a very
individual process and that there are few easy solutions in the making of
"real art" versus assembly-line products. The frustration is well worth it
in the end.

Sincerely, Leah