RE: book illustration and creation

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kimberly Anne Herbert (kimberly)
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 14:46:33 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_0002_01BF3C0A.DC98BC80

Janet,
I would like to suggest you see if your library has ...I never saw
another butterfly.... Children's Drawings and Poems from Terezin
Concentration Camp, 1942 - 1944. Much of our information about the Holocaust
comes from and adult perspective. These are poems and artwork produced by
the children, while they were secretly being taught. There is a catalogue in
the back with information about each child artist and their fate if known.
Most died at Auschwitz, of the 15,000 children in Terezin 100 survived. One
survivor, Helga Weizzova, was an artist living in Prague at the time the
book was published. You or the English teacher might just make the book
available to the students to look through on their own.
Kimberly Herbert

-----Original Message-----
From: jwells [jwells.us]
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 1999 11:16 AM
To: ArtsEdNet Talk
Subject: book illustration and creation

Dear All,
I hope you can help. First, let me say how much I have enjoyed the net. I
love to come in from the weekend and read my messages. I usually have 200,
but I spend the week going throught them on my Prep.
Anyway, I want to create a book with my eighth graders. They are studying
the Holocost in English. So, I got the book called THE BROKEN MIRROR by
Kirk Douglas to read to them out loud. It's short, so it won't take more
than a period. I may have them take a few notes or jot down some ideas or
drawings while I'm reading. Then, I want to put them in groups, assign each
person a job title and ask them to create a page for the book. It must be
illustrated in a professional manner. I don't know where to go from here.
I want the book to not look like less than they are capable of. I
considered laminating each page or using covers. I considered learning book
binding, teaching them how, and binding the book. Not sure what to do, how
to get started. I know this will work and is a good idea. I am so excited
about it! I just need some suggestions please!!!!
Thanks, Janet

------=_NextPart_000_0002_01BF3C0A.DC98BC80

Janet,
    I would like to suggest you see = if your=20 library has ...I never saw another butterfly.... Children's Drawings = and=20 Poems from Terezin Concentration Camp, 1942 - 1944. Much of our = information=20 about the Holocaust comes from and adult perspective. These are poems = and=20 artwork produced by the children, while they were secretly being taught. = There=20 is a catalogue in the back with information about each child artist and = their=20 fate if known. Most died at Auschwitz, of the 15,000 children in Terezin = 100=20 survived. One survivor, Helga Weizzova, was an artist living in Prague = at the=20 time the book was published. You or the English teacher might just make = the book=20 available to the students to look through on their own.
Kimberly Herbert

-----Original=20 Message-----