RE: book illustration and creation

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Nagel, Judy (JNagel)
Wed, 1 Dec 1999 09:28:51 -0600

FYI There is a nice book about bookmaking called Cover to Cover($16.95) in
the Sax catalog p.385. It says recommended for Jr High and above but I know
people who have adapted many ideas for younger students. Just thought I'd
mention it. BTW I'm not sure if you know it but you can order online from
Sax now. Judy
http://www.saxarts.com

-----Original Message-----
From: vranck [vranck]
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 1999 9:07 AM
To: ArtsEdNet Talk
Subject: Re: book illustration and creation

Dear Janet,
I have made books with my students before and they turned out very nice.
I'll try to explain here: each student got 2 pieces of either posterboard
or matboard, (mine were 6 1/2"x 5") they chose the color of construction
paper they wanted, i had precut pieces 6"x8", 2 each.
They glued (rubber cement is best but glue sticks are ok too.) regular
elmers has a tendancy to buckle. 6x8 sheets to the boards. then they chose
another strip (2"x6 1/2") to "bind the front and back covers together. of
course they do the pages first and bind at the end. with posterboard i just
stapled the covers and pages together, but with matboard i provided an end
page, both front and back, and these were stapled with the other pages then
glued to the front and back cover, then the binding strip held them all
together. they also painted abstract designs on the covers, very nice
finished. i hope this makes some kind of sense.
vicki in tn!