Re: Ceramic Picture Frames

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Mike Delaney (edelaney)
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 11:51:23 -0500

I teach high school and I have made ceramic picture frames with the
beginning art classes. If the frames are larger than 5 by 7 then there is
trouble keeping them from cracking during the bonedry stage. We made
frames with textures- addition and impressing into the frames. They were
organic in shape. The inside of the frame was cut out and holes were made
with the end of a paint brush on the inside edges, top and bottom. After
firing ,,they stained with watered down acrylic. I made a sepia tone. They
ythen warped and made a weaving with the caly as the frame. they turned out
great. Now the way i kept them from braking was. I had cardboard cut for
each. After the piece was constructed they then put on the fresh
cardboard. Buttons of caly were made for the corners and we stacked them
up. The next day i went through and turned them over so they wouldn't
warp. I then moved them the next day to the kiln. I loaded them sitting
vertical since I have found less warpage that way in firing. it takes less
space in kiln too. I fire all slabs that way. The pieces were not quite
all the way dry. That way there was less brakage. i left in the kiln to
dry then for a week and then I fired them. I fired them to a cone 6.

I have also made clay postcards with thre classes. They turn out like
relife tiles and turn out great. This Christmas in my ceramics class we
did a fun project. It was a three day project. they made clay Christmas
cards. i passes out real Christmas cards to look at. They made relief
slab Christmas cards, 5 by 7. They turned out great and it was good
experience in learning to add clay and get it to stay to the slab with slip
and score and then to finalize and clean up the edges. They painted them
with acrylic the last day before vacation and it was a good closing for the
holidays. They turned out beautiful. I graded them on creativity,
craftsmanship, painting, technical skill.

I think a O'Keefe flower would make a nice tile/postcard relief. Ann in
Indiana