Re: What Do YOU Do???

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
lindacharlie (lindacharlie)
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 00:11:05 -0500

One of the reasons I jumped at the opportunity to switch back to
elementary art (from high school social studies) is the enormous
enthusiasm of the youngsters! From observations during student teaching,
subbing, and my stint in geography I have concluded that to draw the
kind of older students who are interested (therefore intrinsically
motivated) in art you have to 1) get REAL involved with the counseling
department and get them to stop using art classes as a dumping ground
for problem students who don't fit anywhere else and 2) develop an
awesome 3D course such as pottery or jewelry where the kids can create
something they will be able to use or wear. I don't know why but I think
teens feel more success doing 3D things and less confident about drawing
and other 2D work. The kind of course I'm thinking of needs to be
developed based on the individual instructor's strengths as well as the
kinds of art products that can embody the kids' persona. If you can
build it (an enviable program), they will come. I've seen it!