Re: The

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
freckles spots (freckles_spot)
Mon, 21 Dec 1998 10:03:09 PST

I taught in a situation similar to yours. My name was plastered on the
sides of buildings with other colorful words to describe me. After only
3 years, I left the school for a cushy suburban school and very glad I

Yes, there was a part of me that felt like I was deserting the children,
after all...most of it is not their fault. The situations they are in
are mostly created by the adults in their homes...but I had to look out
for my sanity also. As much as I wanted to help the children, I knew I
needed to help myself also.

I value the time I spent there and hope I made a difference in at least
a few of my student's life....but my life and my family's life is very
important to me also.

Do what your heart tells you to have served your time.
Personally, I feel everyone should teach in the situation you were in
for at least one year...then maybe they wouldn't complain so much about
where they are now.

Judy in OK

>From: BluesTruth
>Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 15:35:09 EST
>To:, ArtsEdNet
>Subject: The "Burbs" vs. Urban
>Hi Artnetter Friends--
>Well, I have some offers (for interviews only!! No guarantees for jobs)
>some nice, lovely "burbs' schools in the wealthier parts of Illinois.
>course, I'll interview. What the hey.....
>If I am offered a "cushy" job, and I know all jobs are hard work, but
>like what I have been doing the last 20 or so years in the inner city
>Chicago. Given what happened last week at our school (vandal and
>and to my beloved art I grab the new job in the new school
and run?
>Am I giving up on underprivileged children? Any advice? Help!
> I know that you will come up with the right words, after all---
>I don't know what I would do without you guys last week!
>Warmly, Bluestruth

Get Your Private, Free Email at