Re: Animals and Art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
R. Moore (ronmoore)
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 16:53:33 -0800 (PST)

Hi Joseph,
I've got a definition in mind--George Dickie's (THE ART CIRCLE);
and now I'm trying to open up a bit. >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Oops! The problem is that if I open up my definition wide enough
to include living creatures, I find that many of the usual uses I have for
the word "art" are defeated. What would a "School of Art" teach? What
should the National Endowment for Arts endow? Definitions are often
overly restrictive; but exploding them leads to problems that are at least
as grave.
Ron