RE: solar system-space ideas

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sears, Ellen (ESears.us)
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 15:28:10 -0500

This is something that I did with a 7th grade class, for subject... but I
have done the procedure with K-1s.
I have several sets of postcards with developing stars, different stages.
The students also had the definition of each stage. We used KidPix to
illustrate the stage, they had to pick the tool, color etc to illustrate the
definition, then discuss their choices. The class used them later for study
cards, matching, comparing etc. It was interesting to see the how
different, and yet accurate the illustrations were. The science teacher is
still using the cards and activity with his present classes.

I also bought a book (on clearance) that was about the artist that
did the mural in the Air and Space museum. I can't remember his name, maybe
Robert McCall (the same science teacher has it). It also contained several
illustration of imagined planet terrains, and futuristic cities. The
Children's Museum in Indianapolis had several of his paintings displayed
over the summer.

I have also had the students do collages of landscapes from
magazines, I copy them in black and white - and they add colored pencil to
it. Cut the new landscape and place on a new paper for splatter space
(stars...) etc...----------

When teaching younger students about 3-d drawings - shadows, highlights etc,
we made the spheres into planets with rings, craters etc...

I did space ship design with junk and paper mache, they floated down the
hall... suspended from the ceiling...

We expanded into space ship design with an egg that has to land safely from
the second floor window...

Crayon etchings for space illustrations

I haven't done it in some time, now I give the science teacher the
ideas, he does it.
Ellen