Re: High school HELP!

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
R.E.William Loring (bcloring)
Wed, 16 Dec 1998 17:18:15 -0800

I work in ahigh school and one of my classes has a pretty tough
clientele...they have really enjoyed making illuminated letters and using
gold leaf for the letter, and then painting pattern and decoration with
acrylic...they were very small, and the kids were so excited by the end
product...got in a little art history with the little darlings, too. We
also marlbeled pajper and have made little handstitched, bound books...i was
surprised at how much they liked bookbinding, too. I think part of it is the
fact that the books look so good...some of them have made three or four, and
they rarely ever do anything above the minimum...one of my biggest
antagonists told me yesterday that
we should just keep doing this and forget anything else...the supplies were
kind of expensive, but if you are careful you can get a lot of bang for the
buck...
-----Original Message-----
From: Teri Sanford <terily>
To: artsednet.edu <artsednet.edu>
Date: Wednesday, December 16, 1998 2:38 PM
Subject: High school HELP!

>Hello arties,
> I just love this list. I am hoping some of you can help me with a
problem. I have been teaching my first HS art
>class (just one each day, then elementary the rest of the day). I have
covered design elements, some drawing and
>enlarging with a grid, clay work, abstract designs with oil pastels. I am
at a loss for what to do next. I am
>definitely intimidated by these "big" kids. Even though my skills are more
than theirs, I still have a hard time
>with them not listening. Then when I grade them (rubric, provided before
each project) they still moan and groan
>and argue about their grades. They want this to be their "easy A" class.
I have some that are even failing,
>because they do not turn in any homework or assignments. I have taught 8
years of K-5 and all my lessons are too
>easy. I have never had students like this. I need something that will
take these kids interest by storm. Does
>anyone have a set "curriculum" or series of lessons that they might share
with me? I would like to do some of the
>research necessary over the holiday break. I'm determined not to let these
kids get the best of me. (I've already