Re: cancer & art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
E. Delaney (enola.us)
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 21:23:57 +0000

I experienced going through the ordeal with someone who had cancer. As a 40
yearold teacher my mother died of cancer almost a year ago. I would teach all
day and go help take care of my mother after school. I had to deal with the
neglect of my own family , my students not getting the best of my personality,
plus dealing with my mother, my best friend dying. During that time I began to
create art sculptures to help me deal with the pain. I showed my own students
and talked about the pieces and how they helped me heal my emotions. at this
time it drew me closer to my students, plus they too one day will have to face
the death of a loved one. I was able to shoe them first hand how they may be
able to use art to help them through this ordeal. They were exposed to this in
my classroom. I did not talk about it except when they asked about a certain
piece. After my mother died , my own work changed and the students were able
to ssee the difference. I think it was a great learning experience. Now it is
one year later and all is well. This experience also helped and still helps
me to let the students know that I am available for them any time they may need
to talk with me abut their situations. They do come to me and I help them come
up with a way to get through it. Thanks for listening. Ann in Indiana