Re: Mac vs. IBM clones redux

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John Antoine Labadie (labadie)
Sun, 13 Dec 1998 11:55:17 EST5EDT

> On Thu, 10 Dec 1998 gregjuli wrote:
>
> > Ok, I promise this is the last time I'll bug you guys about this but I really
> > need to hear from more you before I present my facts to the superintendent.
> > There is suppose to be almost a 1000 of us out there, so please just let me
> > know in a quick e-mail if you use a Mac or IBM thing in your art room.
> > Major Thanks!
> > MaryB in Wis.

There are lots of resaons for choosing any system. If cost per
computer is to be the deciding factor then many a bean counter will
go with PC. They are cheaper.

If what one is to do with the computer is among the criteria, and
graphics is the #1 thing one wishes to do, it seems that a PC will do
but a Mac is desirable.

I run a Art Department computer graphics program for the UNC system
... there's no choice about what to put in the studio: Apple G3's.
We can outfit a 300mhz, 700mb+ ram machine for less that 6K ...
can't do that with a PC workstation. But even at the lower end of
the Apple spectrum, 70-80% of the magazines and newspapers out there
are output on Macs (my Mass Comm. dept. gave me those figures btw).

And imho, the Mac OS 8.0-8.5 (and below) is simply more intuitive and
much easier to teach and use than the Mac-alike windows OS machines.
This is my experience.

Regards, JAL

Dr. John Antoine Labadie
Assistant Professor of Art
University of North Carolina at Pembroke

fax: 901.521.6688 wphone: 910521.6618
website: www.uncp.edu/home/labadie/
Art Dept. website: www.uncp.edu/art/

"There are some enterprises in which a careful
disorderliness is the true method."

Herman Melville
Moby Dick, Ch. 82