rubrics/unequal planning time

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
S. Henneborn (heneborn)
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 16:03:41 -0600

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 22:28:31 -0600
> From: Sandra Poos <klpoos>
> Subject: Re: Grading Systems
>
> I teach Elementary Art like Linda, and agree that rubrics are great but
> not feasible for the elementary level.

*** I have said this before and feel strongly about it. Rubrics made my life
in Elem. much easier.

1) I make the rubric very simple for primary (3 word sentences and 2 or three
things to assess) and at each grade level I have 3 columns for response. SELF
/ PEER / TEACHER The job is usually done and improvements made before it is
my turn. The students consider this a self assessment and sometimes I collect
them with the project and keep them without having to mark them for each
child. I can refer to them when I have to do report cards They served their
usefulness by guiding the process so I can't let them be a millstone around my
neck. There are already too many things hanging there already!

2) This has greatly reduced the number of times I am asked those tiresome
questions What do I do now? and Is this finished?. The peers are very helpful
in their suggestions for pushing the idea a step further and the students are
very receptive to their peers. Of course the students are used to peer
critique in creative writing so I did not have to break new ground (I have
been in the past the only one using this method and it does take some set up
time)

3) Some times I add a column for COACH which is an adult at home.( If I do
this I replace the TEACHER with COACH ) I never require this but most do
return with a parent's written encouraging response. Primaries love to read
this in front of the class. Everyone works very quietly when these are being
read aloud.
Sometimes I put the rubric on a chart and students use it to check their
progress and will bring a peer with them to the chart and have a critique there.
Different strokes for different projects.

> I also get the "its ONLY
> art... who cares" attitude, esp. from the 6th graders.

***** When I first tried rubrics while participating in a graduate class, I
tried with only 1/2 the classes( !/2 were the control group) I was surprised
at the difference in attitude the rubric made. It has been my experience that
they take the lesson more seriously in terms of stretching their skills when
there is a rubric involved. I haven't made a rubric for the current lesson
-theme - Snow Artists, Snow Musicians & Snow Athletes. Just doesn't fit the lesson

I also teach 7 classes a day 40 min. periods with 1/2 hour for lunch ( rest of
the time is lunch duty! UGH!
Now that I have used rubrics I would not teach without them! Saves me time
and lets me focus on more important things. I think it makes the students my
PARTNERS in the assessment process.

**************** another issue************

>I have 7 classes a day with 40 minutes and an hour for lunch, I do not have
a plan time every day and when I do it is only
> for about 30 minutes. My district seems to think elementary art teachers
> are just like classroom teachers and don't give us much plan time or
> even any time to get together with the other elementary art teachers to
> coorelate our program.

*** This is something else I feel strongly about!

Where is your union or association. Do your elementary teachers just quietly
accept having less that the rest of the teachers in the district? 1/3 of the
teachers in our association's leadership and negotiating team are special
certificate teachers. Also a good balance across the grades. It pays in the
long run to make a big voice. If we were not active we would have to take what
they give! When I go and make a fuss at the board meetings I remind them
that the only time that they hear my voice at these meetings is when they are
giving me an honor for outstanding teaching or when they are trying to mess
with my art program. I am, by nature, quiet and shy. I spent many years
isolated in my room (Yes! Thank God I have one) but, for the program's sake, I
learned to put my complaints where they would do the most good. Do you have a
Rep in your building? Will your fellow art teachers join their voices with
yours? It starts small at first and slowly makes a snowball. I have never
been censured for speaking up for improving my program. Who else will lobby
for the arts if not the art teachers?
I used to think that advocacy was for some one more knowledgeable than me.
Sharon
NJ

I just DON'T