Re: So much to do in art class

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Melissa Chaney (meemo)
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 22:27:46 -0600

--------------F8DEABB1EBF3F70133F32DE2

When I taught elementary I had a rool-o-dex system for grades. You could also use a
recipe file box also. Each tab is labeled with the teachers name. Each student fills
out an index card with name and class on the first day. At clean up time one student
would pass out the cards. I then went around the room to grade each student based on how
well they did that day. A, B, or C on project and a + for good behavior and a - for bad
behavior. If I wrote a minus on the card I also wrote the date and the reason why. This
way i had a small record of behavior problems also. As students left the room, they
would hand me the index card and I would then file them away until grade card time. Art
grades were given for performance and behavior.

lindacharlie wrote:

> BluesTruth wrote:
> >
> > Does anyone out there have a good system for keeping grades (60 classes a
> > week), seating charts and plans up to date? ..... our principal wants us to do all
> > this--this quarter! It's hard for me to keep up to date....
>
> 60 classes a week! BT, how is it you're still among the living?!
> The music teacher in my school uses the sticky note method mentioned by
> another artsednetter. On the sticky notes he records marks for behavior
> which are in code so they will fit. At cardmarking he has all these
> little behavior codes to figure into the student's "effort" grade.
>
> As far as grades, this is a real challenge for specials teachers who
> have 700 or more students at 6 or 7 different grade levels. Is your
> principal requiring a grade a day per student? (My friend in Detroit has
> to do this.) I can't conceive of anyone who understands the kind of
> preps elementary art teachers have requiring this but obviously there
> are some who don't get it. I'd record effort (behavior) grades for
> those. Assessing progress in art concepts can be demonstrated through
> performance activities such as producing art work and participating in
> discussion. Give students points (grades) for THOUGHTFUL participation
> in discussions and count those grades in with art production grades.
> This will benefit those students who are more verbal than "artistic."
> They could be coded and put on the stickies, or maybe you could give
> tokens which students could put into a class folder for recording later
> into your grade book. (I'm envisioning cut out paper paint spots stuck
> onto a laminated paper palette for each class. Put these on a ring in
> order so you can flip them to the back class by class.) As for art
> production, I tend toward longer term projects and incorporate several
> objectives into each one. This means I can look at one piece of work and
> see if the student achieved a number of curriculum objectives. Each
> objective gets its own grade. Lower grades may spend 2 or 3 periods on
> one art project and upper grades could involve 4 or more.
>
> Plans: do quick notes on where you left off and what's next as soon as
> possible after you see the kids, either right after class or lunch or
> recess. This could be on a separate piece of paper or in your planning
> book with pencil. Then you'll have a skeleton to go by when you have
> more time (like in the middle of the night). This takes discipline which
> I can most times muster up.
>
> Hope to see many more ideas on this topic posted! My system isn't
> perfect either.
> Linda in finally cold Michigan

--------------F8DEABB1EBF3F70133F32DE2

begin: vcard