Re: sky- BRIGHT BLUE

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
HyDeJoF
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 18:36:56 EST

<< Christi Fennell wrote:

> Just to throw in my 2 cents worth....:)
> My second and third year art students are painting landscapes using
> acrylic or watercolor paints. They understand the need to cover the
> canvas or paper, but they want to paint it BRIGHT BLUE. I mean BRIGHT
> BLUE. I am having the problem convincing them that the color is too
> intense and that the particles in the air along with the pollution
> dull the sky's color as it gets closer to the earth. I even walk them
> outside and have them compare. I would love to have easels and allow
> them to paint outside, but until I get some $$$$, I can not afford
> them. Any suggestions?
> C. 50 degrees in Sunny Southern California

a simple solution to this problem would be to do an art history lesson with
the class using paintings, photography, etc. that depict the sky. try to find
pieces with all types of weather for variety. this would be a visual and
artistic way for them to see the sky. from there, you could have the class
work by facing the windows of the classroom, or even take them to and area of
the school that has big windows. This way, they could get an art history
lesson and use personal experience to create art, and it would probably be
much more memorable and educational than just using their naive prior
knowledge of the sky. maybe even having them use more water with the paint
would help.

Heidi Faith
art education junior - University of Arizona

  • Reply: robert L. Snyder: "Re: Fw: cancer & art"