Re: So much to do in art class

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
lindacharlie (lindacharlie)
Thu, 10 Dec 1998 08:58:17 -0500

BluesTruth wrote:

> Does anyone out there have a good system for keeping grades (60 classes a
> week), seating charts and plans up to date? ..... our principal wants us to do all
> this--this quarter! It's hard for me to keep up to date....

60 classes a week! BT, how is it you're still among the living?!
The music teacher in my school uses the sticky note method mentioned by
another artsednetter. On the sticky notes he records marks for behavior
which are in code so they will fit. At cardmarking he has all these
little behavior codes to figure into the student's "effort" grade.

As far as grades, this is a real challenge for specials teachers who
have 700 or more students at 6 or 7 different grade levels. Is your
principal requiring a grade a day per student? (My friend in Detroit has
to do this.) I can't conceive of anyone who understands the kind of
preps elementary art teachers have requiring this but obviously there
are some who don't get it. I'd record effort (behavior) grades for
those. Assessing progress in art concepts can be demonstrated through
performance activities such as producing art work and participating in
discussion. Give students points (grades) for THOUGHTFUL participation
in discussions and count those grades in with art production grades.
This will benefit those students who are more verbal than "artistic."
They could be coded and put on the stickies, or maybe you could give
tokens which students could put into a class folder for recording later
into your grade book. (I'm envisioning cut out paper paint spots stuck
onto a laminated paper palette for each class. Put these on a ring in
order so you can flip them to the back class by class.) As for art
production, I tend toward longer term projects and incorporate several
objectives into each one. This means I can look at one piece of work and
see if the student achieved a number of curriculum objectives. Each
objective gets its own grade. Lower grades may spend 2 or 3 periods on
one art project and upper grades could involve 4 or more.

Plans: do quick notes on where you left off and what's next as soon as
possible after you see the kids, either right after class or lunch or
recess. This could be on a separate piece of paper or in your planning
book with pencil. Then you'll have a skeleton to go by when you have
more time (like in the middle of the night). This takes discipline which
I can most times muster up.

Hope to see many more ideas on this topic posted! My system isn't
perfect either.
Linda in finally cold Michigan