Christmas tree monoprint

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Lorena Nalin (nalin)
Wed, 9 Dec 1998 20:30:59 -0700

I thought someone might be interested in this Kindergarten project that I do
for Christmas since the topic of holiday projects was brought up earlier. I
said in another posting that I don't do holiday art, but I guess I lied
since I do this most every year.

This is a monoprint and is quite magical to kindergartners.

Students fold a sheet of white 9X12 paper in half (long sides together). I
use a triangle tracer (with a red line on the side to be placed on the fold
line) to get the placement and shape more accurate. Students trace the
angle and the bottom edges on one side of the paper only.

Then using green paint, I demonstrate how to paint in the triangle QUICKLY,
it does not need to be completely painted and white space inside the
triangle add to the tree effect. Then I fold the paper and rub over the
painted area to transfer the green paint to the other half of the paper.
This forms the tree. Students paint and fold/rub their trees.

Then I replace green paint with brown paint on a small plastic lid and
demonstrate how to make the tree trunk then fold/rub to transfer. I add a
small amount of red to the lid and we use cotton swabs and dot red ornaments
on half the tree and fold/rub to make ornaments over all the tree (this
always gets a oohh and aahh)

At the top, to make a star (at times they look more like angels) I add a
little yellow to the lid and we paint three short, yellow line at the top of
the tree. One verticle, one a 90 degree angle (L) to the first and the last
one along side the tree at an angle. When folded and rubbed this creates a
five point star (or angel).

For kinders that don't celebrate Christmas, they make a tree, with red birds
or something else and yellow stars or red and yellow flowers. It is a bit
tricky to think up some acdeptable substitutes, but we don't have much
problem with it this year.

I give these to the homeroom teacher and they do what they like by adding
some Christmas message or other writing and mount of a 12X18 red or green
construction paper.

In the past, I have been able to do these in one - 40 minutes class, but
this year is ....well let's just say my kinders are giving new meaning to
painting all together.

Hope you have a nice holiday season,
Lorena Nalin
Elem. art