Re: paper marbling and paper clay

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Dennis Golombek (golombek)
Wed, 09 Dec 1998 19:17:37 -0500

Hi all and happy countdown to the holiday break!

My student teacher last year marbelized paper using tempera paints that were
mixed with a bit of Photoflo(darkroom buffs know it's a Kodak product). We
placed the tempera and Photoflo mixtures in old film cannisters and added a bit
of photoflo into some old aluminum roaster trays that are sold cheaply around
the holidays. Using a soft watercolor brush the students would barely touch the
water surface with the paint-loaded brush tips and using old combs, feathers
etc. they would carefully mix the colors on the water surface. We used 80#
white drawing papers as well as Xerox paper and laid them flat on the water. I
recall the Xerox paper curled a great deal when wet but we glued the marbelized
paper onto a 2ply mat board and created some simple books.

I remember this well because two 8th grade boys who were close friend began
slugging one another in order to do their paper first. It may have been an
adolescent ritual dance to influence the young female student teacher.

Good luck with the project!

Dennis