Re: Do Animal Create Art/Beauty

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Wed, 09 Dec 1998 06:06:21 -0800

marcia m eaton wrote:

> There is the
> famous case of the elephant (I think her name is Ruby---but I am certain
> that someone out there will know the name) who seems to "discard" paintings
> she does that do not suit her.

Hi, Marcia,

I agree with what you've said--I think making art is an intentional
process, even with artists who think they are being completely
spontaneous. They have internalized their learning--and
decision-making--to the point where they are no longer concious of it.

Ruby was indeed the elephant's name. She lived at the Phoenix zoo. She
died recently after her fetus died, and the doctors were unable to abort
it and save her.

Maggie
no doubt internalized