Re: Drawing

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
menichino (menichino)
Mon, 7 Dec 1998 19:31:07 -0500

Hi Linda and all --
In rural NY, out of my wonderful art room's big windows (sorry, that came
out sounding like bragging -- I just really appreciate my "space"!) we can
see exactly where the sky meets the ground because we look out upon rolling
hills. And they STILL don't get it! I believe it's just the basic "I'm
standing on the ground and it's down there" and "I look up to see the sky"
relationship that is hard to translate 2-dimensionally for most kids. And
it doesn't seem to bother them in the least, perhaps until they want their
artwork to look more "real". Then they'll gradually start coloring the sky
blue and leaving the clouds white, and using horizon lines "correctly".
Some, of course never seem to get to that stage!
Liz

----------
> From: lindacharlie <lindacharlie>
>
> Subject: Re: Drawing
>

> I'm also wondering how much of the ribbon sky relates to their own
> experiences of the outdoors. There are so few places anymore where kids
> can actually see a horizon. How many kids get to see a wilderness
> sunrise or sunset? The only time they go outside to play is in nice
> "blue sky" weather. They are surrounded by architecture and the sky is
> "UP." Do kids who live on farms or near the shore do this less than
> urban/suburban kids? How about kids who spend their lives in front of TV
> and video images, or in between soccer/football/dance lessons? How can
> we expect them to understand the visual relationship of sky to land when
> they never lay down on a grassy hill and watch a storm come rolling in?
> Get out the Bierstadts!

  • Reply: menichino: "Re: Re: Drawing"
  • Reply: Litesal: "Re: Re: Drawing"