Re: project idea for Diane

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
lr23961
Mon, 07 Dec 1998 07:35:37 -0500 (EST)

There's a lot you can do with this snowflake idea, especially with such
young students. Perhaps you can add to the immediate relevance of such a
project by supplementing their science learning (ie, teaching briefly
about the nature of snow, when it falls, why, how it forms, etc. This info
shouldn't be to hard to come by). Also, you might talk with the kids about
what snow means to them, or what it makes them think of (do you live in an
area that gets snow?).
In addition,Heidi mentions that each snowflake is unique. This is a concept
you can apply directly to the students. You might ask them some ways that
they are like snowflakes. This would be a great way to teach about
diversity (my art ed class did a similar lesson with flowers this
semester). Also, you might ask the kids to make snowflakes that say
something about them,personally. These would make beautiful personalized
gifts, and in the process, the students would learn about snowflakes and
about themselves as well, not to mention the excercise in motor skills
and art production.

Laura Romer, Art Education Major, Appalachian State