Re: value of kids' artwork.

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
lindacharlie (lindacharlie)
Sun, 06 Dec 1998 12:05:41 -0500

wendy sauls wrote:

> does anyone know of a gallery or museum that contains children's art only,
> or mostly? i am speaking of a permanent setup that displays and/or sells
> kids art "seriously" like adults, professionally framed/matted, the whole
> nine yards. is there a place that sells/markets kids' art?

I read about one several years ago, perhaps in Smithsonian mag...think
it's in CA.

> does anybody ever fall in love with a kids work and want to make
> reproductions of it to display at school or in their home? do you ask
> permission? keep the original? compensate the artist?

Every year my principal and I get together and choose up to 7 (one per
grade) student art works we think are special and offer to mat and frame
them and hang them in the school "art gallery." The students get a
letter asking them and their parents for permission to keep the works
for our "permanent collection." Most of them agree. I make a color copy
of the art work for them along with a letter of appreciation for their
contribution. The school hallways are the gallery walls. Last year a dad
made wooden "art gallery" signs to suspend from the ceilings at the
entrance to each hallway. This has been a tradition for at least 10
years, and before I came to this building. This practice says a lot
about the importance of art to the students and others who visit our
building (like administrtors and school board members). Four years ago
when I announced to my ninth grade social studies students that I would
be leaving to teach elementary art, one of them told me to look for her
picture in the Cleveland Art Gallery. It had been there since she was in
the 2nd grade and she was still very proud of that accomplishment.
Linda in Michigan