Re: artsednet-digest V2 #1104

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Gloria Kaje-Weng (hoying)
Sun, 6 Dec 1998 09:05:40 +0200

to dawn in Tucsan

in answer to your questions about Finland. We are a public school that is
offering an English language alternative science-art centered school in
Vantaa, Finland. It just happens that we have a Fullbright Exchange
teacher with us right now from Modesto, Calfiornia. To give you some
background about the country: 5 million people in a country the size of
California. Winter lasts about 7 months, from about November til the end of
April. It gets dark in winter at about 3 p.m and light about 8:30-9 a.m.
at this time of the year. Lots of people interested in art and art
education, especially here in the Helsinki area. Because of the nature of
our school (I'm the curriculum coordinator, originally from Berkeley
california, though partyly of Finnish extraction) we have lots of
connections to artists and art educators. Reggio Emilia is really big here
in the art education world. Getty is mostly a foreign word to them, but
we're slowly spreading the word. Our school has an artist-in-residence
program that is coordinated thematically throughout the whole school. We
fund this with grants from a foundation in the states and from the Ministry
of Education. It is unique in Finland. It would be wonderful if you could
come to our school next year. We have a school that is grades 1-8. It's
one of the first of its kind that doesn't make a distinction between
elementary and junior high. It's been in existance since 1992 and we add
one grade each year. Half the teachers are from North American, the other
half from Finland. Up to now its worked well, but this year we have had to
use reguolar junior high teachers and their mental set is very different
form the holistic view of integrated curriculum that the lower school has.
The one foreign teacher who comes from International Schools in the Middle
East and thought he'd go out of his mind tackling their rigidity. We need
other native English speakers to even out the jr. high contingent.

contact me for specific info.

good luck,

gloria kaje-weng

----------
> From: artsednet-digest <owner-artsednet-digest.edu>
> To: artsednet-digest.edu
> Subject: artsednet-digest V2 #1104
> Date: Sunday, December 06, 1998 1:21 AM
>

> artsednet-digest Saturday, December 5 1998 Volume 02 : Number
1104

> This edition includes :
> quietness 3-5
> Holiday gifts
> Re: Drawing
> Drawing From Life
> computer graphic courses
> Re: Wire for K
> Re: Drawing
> Holiday gifts
> Re: Drawing From Life
> dried up crayola magic
> Re: Drawing
> Great Britain, South Africa, Finland Teachers
> RE: DBAE
> RE: DBAE
> Re: Drawing
> Re: DBAE
> Re: Drawing From Life (long post)
> Re: Holiday gifts/ burlap weaving

> Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 21:52:06 EST
> From: SOKERO
> Subject: quietness 3-5
>
> Dec. is difficult for quietness. And just how quiet you can get them
depends
> on the school and the class and your sanity. 1. We want as many
positive
> words to be used as possible. 2. Radio-CD rule:Classical only. 3.
How
> tolerant are the teachers in the rooms next to yours. ? I teach inner
city
> and have 25 years in many situations, so ask questions anytime. There
will be
> times when you stand back and you can feel those little guys "humming"
with
> pleasure as they all grasp a concept and do it. I poke my nose out of
the
> room and flag people to come and look and listen......The same lesson
will not
> produce those results with another class......
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Fri, 04 Dec 1998 22:37:10 -0500
> From: "Diane L." <mselle>
> Subject: Holiday gifts
>
> Sorry this is last minute, but here goes...some of you already know I
teach
> k-2. I'm worried that their ceramic fish, etc. may not come out as good
as
> I hoped, and so I need a backup holiday gift idea for parents' gifts.
> Nothing ceramic, too late for that. My classes are jumping beans, I think
> not quite a few are Attention Deficit Disorder, etc. so any ideas must be
> simple, not pattern stuff, hopefully not with paint, or printing. (except
> if you have ideas with stamp pads and original type stamping medium.)
> Simple, elegant,not requiring materials other than standard artroom
> supplies and easy to wrap. Tall order. Thanks in advance.(I would really
> prefer not to do holiday art, and stick to a fine arts curriculum, but as
> new teacher, I'm still getting my feet wet. maybe next year I will better
> be able to concretely define and assert my curriculum.) Sincerely, Diane
L.

=
> [...]
>
> <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 HTML//EN">
> <HTML>
> <HEAD>
>
> <META content=3Dtext/html;charset=3Diso-8859-1 =
> http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
> <META content=3D'"MSHTML 4.72.2106.6"' name=3DGENERATOR>
> </HEAD>
> <BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
> <DIV><FONT size=3D2>Hello everyone,</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp; I have been having troubles with connecting =
> and=20
> answering....I hope this gets through because I really need some=20
> advise.</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp; I was on leave from school last year and =
> returned to be=20
> named Department </FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT size=3D2>Chair. The person filling in for me while on leave =
> was=20
> retained and one teacher retired. (3 of us now) High school =
> level.</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp; I teach pottery and sculpture. One =
> other teacher=20
> has the Photography and 2 fundamentals. The new teacher has the drawing =
> and=20
> painting plus 3 fundamentals...</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The new teacher uses only photos,
=
> magazine=20
> cut outs, and fantasy images, for both the drawing and painting classes.
=
> The=20
> only medium that has been used for the entire first semester is oil and =
> chalk=20
> pastels. The fundamental classes have been doing fantasy paintings in =
> glow-in=20
> - -the -dark tempera. Ther has been no exposure to other mediums. The=20
> Administration seems blind (how suprising). They just see &quot;pretty=20
> pictures&quot;.</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp; College recruitors have come and talked
=
> with the=20
> students regarding what they look for..( life drawing, experience with =
> mediums,=20
> creativity )..seems to fall on deaf ears.</FONT></DIV>
> <DIV><FONT size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp; I am at wits end..No suggestion or kind
=
> approach=20
> to adjust to the level of a student lookin for scholarship..is taken =
> kindly. Did=20
> I mention this teacher came from 22 years at elementary or middle =
> school?&nbsp;=20
> How can I stear her in a better direction for the high school student's =
> benefit?=20
> With out conflict in teaching methods? Is there some concrete evidence I
=
> can=20
> show her that would support drawing from life and experience with =

size=3D2>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbs=

p;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=

;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=
> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
=

> Laurie</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>
>
> - ------=_NextPart_000_000A_01BE1FD3.486CC140--
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 18:51:50 -0600
> From: George Doros <doros>
> Subject: computer graphic courses
>
> Looking ahead to the new millenium I often wonder where Art Education is
>
> headed? Will it exist as the present? or is it time to make some
> changes? We are on the dawn of an exciting future with the advent of
> computers. Are we ignoring this change or meeting it head on? Are out
> school programs keeping up with these changes and are we preparing our
> students with the courses that we teach? I have been asking these and
> several more questions and have decided to develop a new course at our
> school involving the use of Art and Computer Graphics. I have received
> a few responses from some ArtsEdnet particpants from another e-mail
> request, but still need some more concrete material.
> Are there any teachers out there that may have developed a course in
> Computer Graphics and have examples of units or course outlines for a
> course of this nature. Better yet are there any schools in your area
> that are using courses of this courses of this nature that would be
> willing to share their experiences.
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 06:48:09 EST
> From: Juncture
> Subject: Re: Wire for K
>
> Subject: Wire for Kindergarten
> Does anyone have any ideas for using the Twisteez kind of thin colored
wire
> with kindergarteners?
> I'm looking for other possibilities that will get them to
> realize that wire can make shapes in space with line --
> Thanks for any help you can offer!
> Liz in rural NY
> 1st of all wire of this sort is Telephone wire & should be free from
your
> local
> Ma Bell. I approached Ma a few yrs ago with examples of what could be
created
> w/ it - like animals, jewelry etc & got light & medium guage copper &
Aluminum
> Tel wire.
> The best approach would be to have them wrap wire around pencils for
coils
> & make slinky critters with them. (You can also wrap it around square or
> triangilar wood pieces & stretch it out - K teachers have all sorts of
blocks
> & shapes Kids could trace their wire around) You could staple finished
pieces
> to tag or poster board. You can use it in conjunction w/ construction
paper or
> felt. I f you have examples to show & some pictures of the Calder's
Circus
> [...]
> some standards you can show her. If not, check the portfolio
requirements
> from a number of art schools to show her what they expect. It doesn't
matter
> that few _will_ go on to college; their requirements are pretty minimal
and
> are indicative what the students should have been at least exposed to, if
not
> completely mastered.
>
> Touchy situation! Since she's new, though, it may be easier to deal with
than
> if she were a veteran at your school. Good luck. Let us know how things
work
> out.
>
> Maggie
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 11:00:20 EST
> From: MALOSHD
> Subject: dried up crayola magic
>
> Hey Fellow Artsednetters-------------------------->
>
> Sorry I have been very silent for a while. I have been working two jobs
> (performing and teaching) and preparing for a move. Soon I hope to be
back in
> the circle of discussion. You all have helped me so much on different
> occasions.
>
> Anyway, I got this donation of Crayola Model Magic. Its partially dry,
kind
> of spongy, but not malleable. I have been hanging on to it in hopes that
> will discover a wonderful new use. I hate to throw it out. Has anyone
creative
> uses for this stuff? Is there a trick to refurbishing it?
>
> Wishing everyone well,
> Dawn in Tucson
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sat, 05 Dec 1998 08:06:08 PST
> From: "Sharon Hause" <smhause>
> Subject: Re: Drawing
>
> It's the "suns in the corner" that is my pet pieve!

> >From: "Jasmine Preston" <jdp30>
> >To: "artsednet" <artsednet.edu>
> >Subject: Re: Drawing
> >Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 21:59:09 -0600
> >
> >Wendy wrote:
> >
> >>But where do they learn to make white skies with blue
> >> clouds?
> >
> >It takes less effort to color the clouds blue rather than the entire
> sky?
> >
> >Jasmine
> >jdp30

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 11:06:18 EST
> From: MALOSHD
> Subject: Great Britain, South Africa, Finland Teachers
>
> Hey Artsednetters--------------------------->
>
> I am presently a candidate for the Fulbright Teacher Exchange Program. I
may
> be placed in Great Britain, South Africa, or Finland, depending on where
they
> find my exchange partner. Are there any art teachers on Artsednet from
these
> countries? I would like to ask lots of questions in order to prepare

Tucson

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sat, 05 Dec 1998 08:34:48 PST
> From: "Sharon Hause" <smhause>
> Subject: RE: DBAE
>
> With all the conversation on DBAE, I would like to find more information
> on the topic since I never been trained or educated on the subject.
> Anyone know if it can be found online? This is all new to me.

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sat, 05 Dec 1998 08:52:44 PST
> From: "Sharon Hause" <smhause>
> Subject: RE: DBAE
>
> I located a good site on DBAE on ArsEdNet. Guess I was surprised to see
> the same thing I base my curriculum on only with a fancy name. To me the
> idea of taking all the parts of DBAE to make a whole is much like the
> compostion of piece: it all has to fit together to make significant
> form. Sharon

> Date: Sat, 5 Dec 1998 13:08:02 EST
> From: RWilk85411
> Subject: Re: Drawing
>
> jAmen to the suns in the corner. In middle school it was the sky that was
blue
> only part of the way down. There was this big band of white between the
earth
> and the sky. When I asked them what that was, I got, " I don't know."
When I