Re: Drawing From Life

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Sat, 05 Dec 1998 07:13:49 -0800

dwwebb wrote:
<snip>

> The new teacher uses only photos, magazine cut outs, and fantasy
> images, for both the drawing and painting classes. The only medium
> that has been used for the entire first semester is oil and chalk
> pastels. The fundamental classes have been doing fantasy paintings in
> glow-in -the -dark tempera. There has been no exposure to other
> mediums.
> College recruiters have come and talked with the students regarding
> what they look for..( life drawing, experience with mediums,
> creativity )..seems to fall on deaf ears.
> How can I steer her in a better direction for the high school
> student's benefit? Is there
> some concrete evidence I can show her that would support drawing from
> life and experience with mediums?

Laurie,

As department chair you may have to become assertive and let her know the
expectations for HS work. Your state department of education probably has
some standards you can show her. If not, check the portfolio requirements
from a number of art schools to show her what they expect. It doesn't matter
that few _will_ go on to college; their requirements are pretty minimal and
are indicative what the students should have been at least exposed to, if not
completely mastered.

Touchy situation! Since she's new, though, it may be easier to deal with than
if she were a veteran at your school. Good luck. Let us know how things work
out.

Maggie