Re: Talking in class

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
menichino (menichino)
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 19:08:59 -0500

Hi --
I insist the kids are quiet and attentive during lesson presentation and at
the end of class during clean up (I have to admit I have resorted to
bribery for some particularly chatty classes!), but it is in the nature of
children to share ideas and yes it's relaxing to talk. I tell them that I
actually like it when they talk as they work because they're probably going
to be discussing ideas like colors or skills involved, etc One of my chief
objectives K-5 is self-expression and I would think it's hard to be
expressive if you're afraid of getting in trouble as you work! But they
have to keep it from getting too loud.
Liz in rural NY