RE: High School Computer Graphics Programs

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Ben Schasfoort (Ben.Schasfoort)
Fri, 04 Dec 1998 21:15:03 +0000

At 18:12 3-12-1998 -0600, George Doros wrote:
>Looking ahead to the new millenium I often wonder where Art Education is
>headed? Will it exist as the present? or is it time to make some
>changes?

I answered him :

Of course it will change, there are 100 years ahead.

>We are on the dawn of an exciting future with the advent of
>computers. Are we ignoring this change or meeting it head on? Are out
>school programs keeping up with these changes and are we preparing our
>students with the courses that we teach?

You are right george to ask yourself these questions. The problem is:
school programs do not keep up with changes at all. If we art teachers want
te be done something the way we egree with it, we better do it ourselves.
At least we could, like you do, start with thinking about it.

> I have been asking these and
>several more questions and have decided to develop a new course at our
>school involving the use of Art and Computer Graphics.

Allright, you have started a course. I would go further back and ask what
exactly do we want to teach in connection with multimedia. So much is going
on at the moment. Methods of teaching change while sources of information
change. I studied from a book, most students still do, but never in the
years that I studied I would have thought about studying new methods of art
education together with someone in ...(I don't know where on the globe you
are).

>I have received
>a few responses from some ArtsEdnet particpants from another e-mail
>request, but still need some more concrete material.
>Are there any teachers out there that may have developed a course in
>Computer Graphics and have examples of units or course outlines for a
>course of this nature. Better yet are there any schools in your area
>that are using courses of this courses of this nature that would be
>willing to share their experiences.

It is clear that you took a course in Computer Graphics as a starter. So
did I. I wrote two first lesson on PAINT for children (inspired by lessons
I found on the Internet).
This however is an incident in my opinion. We art teachers should think
about all the possibilities and make new goals for art education. The
computer is much more than a tool. Even if we don't believe that it will
change the future, we should search its possibilities for art education to
be prepared.
What about
Information and Communication Technologie (ICT) in connection with art
history, art critics, aesthetics, assessment, creativity, digital
portfolio, sharing what you learned with others, e-mail, webpage, distance
learning, more independently learning, teamlearning , using Internet as
source for..., using CD-ROM's as sources and so on?

Some of our ArtsEdNet colleagues have allready developed courses (I should
have saved all this information). Most courses are for using software to
make or change images. They are probably better than "How to use tempera to
paint an elephant". That however is not enough if we want to be art
education on the frontline for the next century.

There are hundreds of websites useful for art education. I uppose that
everyone is making his own list (with divisions, sub- and susbsub-
divisions (at least I do). Maybe we should share these ideas.

Here are some that you probably know.

http://www.art.unt.edu/ntieva/artcurr/design/index1.htm

http://www.primenet.com/~arted/pages/internetprojects.html

http://www.siec.k12.in.us/~west/proj/abc/

http://www.siec.k12.in.us/~west/proj/abc/abcless.htm

http://www.ruku.com/pshoptutorials.html

Besides: tomorrow it is "Sinterklaas" (not your Santa Claus, ask Marcia to
explain, she has probably seen him).
Therefore some nice sites to see how that works.

http://www.martinic.nl/sinterklaas

http://www.rnw.nl/sinterklaas/sint-links.html

enjoy,

Ben Schasfoort