Re: DBAE ?'s long post

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
sheneborn ("sheneborn")
Wed, 02 Dec 1998 23:04:50 -0600

George Martin Rex wrote:

> On 02-Dec-98, MarshArt wrote:
> >In a message dated 12/1/98 2:58:51 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> >lhb.edu writes:

*** After reading these posts I must conclude that I am not teaching DBAE at
all. I think that I have misunderstood DBAE all along....I thought the whole
message of DBAE is to enrich production and create balance.

> I think it's excellent to learn a vocabulary to use when looking at,
thinking about or talking about art. But I also know how much Art History
and aesthetic scanning can happen before 30 first graders demand to know what
were going to do today. You can only get by with saying "were just looking
today", so many times

classroom without production. In all my DBAE training this was never
proposed. Well, I must confess one exception which happened today. I had hung
some prints of Andy Warhol's and the K/first grade class came in in the
afternoon. These kids are the class from hell and don't sit still for 2
minutes. They spotted the prints (not their lesson) and started asking
questions. They insisted that I get out my book on Andy and discussed every
page! I had a hard time explaining some but they kept throwing me questions
for the whole period. They have never been so quiet and never sat so still.
I lost all track of time and when their teacher came to pick them up they made
me promise to have Andy again next class. The look on their teacher's face was
DISBELIEF when she saw them sitting in a tight circle around my chair. Now I
have to get more information on Andy and he is not among my favorite artists.
This is definitely an exception and I would never do this ordinarily.

> I believe in the DBAE but not as a hard-core replacement for production as our primary goal. Kids find DBAE dry. They want to DO art. younger kids want to create. Art history and critique have to be
> >cleverly woven into the lesson while production takes place or they lose interest.

*** I would hope that no art class is DRY ! If it is DBAE did not make it dry.
You are right about "cleverly weaving" a balanced curriculum.

>Van Gogh would turn over in his grave.
*** about Vinnie! I can picture him spending many evenings and late nights in
the cafe discussing and arguing with his friends and fellow artists, posing
all those probing aesthetic questions. Didn't he also spend many hours
writing to his brother and other artists about his art?
And collected prints from Japan. I think he would approve this approach!

> >Sorry, DBAEers, I don't want to rattle your cage. I only ask for BALANCE. Enough said. Whew! Don't hate me guys. I wouldn't be without this Listserv.Your help and thoughts mean a lot to me and I respect you for all your views.
>
> >Marsha

*** Well, Marsha, if any DBAEers out there are teaching like you described
then the cages need to be rattled. None of this discipline should be drudgery.
Challenging,yes! It is more work on the part of the teacher to achieve that
rich balance but I think that the production improves.
I'm with you about this list! ADDICT!

> Sic 'um. Maybe 10% that other stuff as spice on productive hands on art. Art making does not have to justify itself. We need to become vigorous in our outreach to the public and administration, pointing out that art production is by deffination upper level thinking. Also our English teacher friends and history teacher buddies cover a lot of this so work in interdiscp stuff with them.
Give a Hoot! Martin

*** Again, it takes that extra effort to keep tabs on what the language,
social studies, and science buddies are doing but the interdisciplinary stuff
is worth the effort.
It took long enough for the public, many teachers, and admin. to realize the
importance of higher level thinking skills and to train teachers to teach
these skills. Now they need to see that it is best taught in the arts and
more than 40 minutes once a week!

*** I just worry about all the groans I hear from the
"art-on-a-cart/multi-school" teachers who are already balancing too much.

*** love these discussions!
Sharon
NJ