Fwd: DBAE response

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
AbeleSmith
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 21:54:31 EST

--part0_912653672_boundary

Here's another.

My response to the DBAE critics is that we are teaching art to the multitudes
(hopefully) and very few of them will ever be professional artists or hobby
artists.

What we are aiming for, besides to touch and encourage those gifted few, is
to create a population of art appreciators. People who can recognize and talk
about and critique art in an intelligent way and are comfortable doing so will
be the benefactors, the city council members who vote to purchase public art,
the administrators who want to keep art in the schools, the parents who enjoy
taking their children to museums and galleries, the purchasers of art, the
congress members and senators and presidents who want to fund the arts, the
CEO's and managers who purchase art for corporations.

Music teachers don't just want to teach music to the gifted, but also want to
create appreciators of music.

I agree that first graders don't want a steady diet of discussion, but mine
sure do enjoy looking at slides and talking about them. It is amazing to hear
their insight and comments -- downright pleasurable! It is also amazing to
see how much they remember about the art history from the discussions, and the
positive comments from the parents.

I have no rigid way of doing this -- I'm too right brained for that. It just
happens, and hopefully it will happen in a way that I can keep the kids
interested and want to look more things up in the encyclopedias and library
books. I get "warm fuzzy" goosebumps when a parent tells me their son wanted
to go to the public library to get books on Pre-Columbian cultures after my
unit of studying them, and another parent tells me that their child was able
to talk about many of the artworks in the museum and give his family their
tour.

Love my job!

Terry

--part0_912653672_boundary

My response to the DBAE critics is that we are teaching art to the multitudes
(hopefully) and very few of them will ever be professional artists or hobby
artists.

What we are aiming for, besides to touch those gifted few, is to create a
population of art appreciators. People who can recognize and talk about and
critique art in an intelligent way and are comfortable doing so will be the
benefactors, the city council members who vote to purchase public art, the
administrators who want to keep art in the schools, the parents who enjoy
taking their children to museums and galleries, the purchasers of art, the
congress members and senators and presidents who want to fund the arts, the
CEO's and managers who purchase art for corporations.

Music teachers don't just want to teach music to the gifted, but create
appreciators of music.

I agree that first graders don't want a steady diet of discussion, but mine
sure do enjoy looking at slides and talking about them. It is amazing to hear
their insight and comments -- downright pleasurable! It is also amazing to
see how much they remember about the art history in the discussions, and the
positive comments from the parents.

I have no rigid way of doing this -- I'm too right brained for that. It just
happens, and hopefully it will happen in a way that I can keep the kids
interested and want to look more things up in the encyclopedias and library
books. I get "warm fuzzy" goosebumps when a parent tells me their son wanted
to go to the public library to get books on Pre-Columbian cultures after my
unit of studying them, and another parent tells me that their child was able
to talk about many of the artworks in the museum and give his family their
tour.

Love my job!

Terry

--part0_912653672_boundary--

  • Reply: gregjuli: "Re: Fwd: DBAE response"