Re: drawing

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Litesal (Litesal)
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 21:25:29 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: MBINERT.mi.us <MBINERT.mi.us>
To: artsednet.edu <artsednet.edu>
Date: Wednesday, December 02, 1998 3:44 PM
Subject: drawing

Dear Mark,

This strikes me as very funny, and ironic. As an elementary teacher, I
spend much of my time trying to get my students to "lighten up!" The press
so darn hard with those strong little arms, that pencil marks become
permanent scars! Perhaps all those years of saying, "Start lightly,"
finally sink in when students reach H.S.

Seriously, though....do you use soft leaded pencils, like 4B-6B (I like
Ebony pencils)? Perhaps you could start value explorations with charcoal,
you almost have to get dark with charcoal. Also, I would suggest having
students make a value scale with pencil. Have students keep the scale next
to their drawing so you can say, "That value looks like it should be a 6
(etc.)." Then students have a concrete example of what you are talking
about.

Sincerely, Leah