Re: drawing

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Wed, 02 Dec 1998 17:19:10 -0800

MBINERT.mi.us wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone has a great idea on how to get high school
> students to draw darker. I have a problem with my 9th - 12th grade
> students being afraid of dark values. Most of the time I can get them to
> medium grey, if I'm lucky.

My students, too. Actually, ME too. Often when I think I've finished a
colored pencil drawing, I realize I need to darken my values. If I make
myself go in and do that, wow, it really punches up what I had previously
thought was a good drawing. I tell my students that, too.

My students get four "real" drawing pencils--two Hs and two Bs. Before
they do any drawing, they have to do value scales with just five values
each, each scale using a different linear or tonal technique. On
subsequent drawing assignments, they must demonstrate a range of values
from very light to almost black--and if they think they've got that whole
range, we just compare their value scales to the drawing. That usually
provides a good clue that they haven't yet met the criteria. They find,
too, that darkening the darkest values gives their drawings that extra
oomph.

Maggie