Re: "YOUR" Test

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Victor Capone (viccapone)
Tue, 01 Dec 1998 02:23:20 -0400

Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 02:16:10 -0400
From: Victor Capone <viccapone>
To: artsednet.edu
Subject: Re: "YOUR" Test

Fred,

I've come across your response to the question about art tests a few
times, and I liked what you wrote. I have since thought more about how
my students' work shows what they are learning (not just what I'm
teaching). You provoked thought. Thank you.

That said, each time I've seen your post, I thought I would have left
"YOUR" out. Then it would be clearer that I was talking about art tests
and not expressing opinions about their advocates. I notice that the
'your test' response was addressed to Maggie, suggesting she's an art
test advocate, yet she did not say that she gives tests.

I have had experiences, like Sheryl's, of people saying "YOUR attitude"
or "YOU people." Often they seemed hostile as they implied distance
from ME and MINE (or US and OURS). To keep it clear that I see a
distinction between the person and their beliefs or behavior, I avoid
using 'YOUR' when I'm talking about something of which I don't approve.
Unless I attend to the subtle content of my speech, people can be
distracted by implications I hadn't intended.

Victor
Pittsburgh