Re: More Jackson Pollock Ideas

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
lindacharlie (lindacharlie)
Tue, 01 Dec 1998 21:27:44 -0500

RB7Surf7 wrote:

> I like the idea of choosing an emotion,.... My lesson will involve the students using squeeze bottles
> from Restaurant supply shop filled with paint to create a Pollock painting..... Perhaps only the energy of
> spreading colors is enough to enjoy the painting experience.
> RB

My approach to the Jackson Pollock painting was similar to this one
(experiential) and I've done it with K -6 kids, using the Mike Venezia
book and Pollock reproductions. I have them wear their oldest clothes,
including shoes for the big day. The littles just get into the
experience of action painting, while I incorporate some elements and
principles (color choices, balance, etc. ) with the older kids. We do
this as a class on a sheet spread on the grass outdoors (weight the
corners). Maximum four colors in buckets. Paint is applied three ways:
slung from large brushes, rolled on using tennis balls, and squirted on
with turkey basters. Kids form a line and take turns. First four tennis
balls are dropped into the four buckets and each student gets to pluck
one out of the bucket of choice and roll it across the sheet. They put
the ball back in the paint, wash their hands in pails of soapy water and
get back in line. After each one has a turn at this, we put a brush in
each bucket. The kids sling or drip the loaded brush at the sheet until
no more paint will come off, then put it back, wash, go to end of line.
Last the turkey basters. Everyone gets to draw one turkey baster of
paint and squirt it onto the painting. Usually this uses up the last of
the paint. All during this process kids are looking at the developing
painting and calling out for more of such and such color here or there,
or for approaching the painting from a different angle. They figure out
pretty fast what happens if you throw the ball too hard or not hard
enough. The painting's left to dry in the sun. Usually we hang a class's
painting outside their room for a while, then they auction it off. This
probably sounds maniacal, but they always love the experience and want
to do it again. (Then there was the time we got rained out and decided
to do it in the classroom....don't ask!)
Linda in Michigan

  • Reply: Kbfiske: "Re: Re: More Jackson Pollock Ideas"