Re: Re: marbleized paper recipe

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
wendy sauls (wsauls)
Thu, 25 Dec 1997 14:51:21

Respond to this message.

Hi all,

This is not meant as a criticism, just another perspective...The use of
products like rabbit skin glue and ox gall might be offensive to some
students (and teachers ;) ) who are sensitive to animal protection issues.
The topic has come up before in our classes - we ended up doing a gyotako
NOT project. This could be an interesting topic for an aesthetics
discussion, even. Think of Damien Hirst (eek). Has anyone had any
experiences with this issue in their classes? Please share.

wendy

At 11:15 AM 12/22/97 -0800, Sidnie Miller wrote:
>You can throw in a little ox gall. It is incredible gross smelling
>but is supposed to help float the colors. It is available wherever
>marbelizing supplies are sold--I think I got it from one of the
>big school art suppliers. It is a little tricky to use though, since
>your're supposed to add it right before you run the paper through--not
>practical for a classroom situation. It is great for the general
>witchcraft effect however. I have the kids smell it and then ask
>if they've heard the expression"of all the gall", or since many
>deerhunt around here, you're not supposed to ever damage the gall
>bladder of animals when you clean them because the gall taints
>the meat--they are very interested it that. Sid
>
>###########################
># Sidnie Miller #
># Elko Junior High School #
># 777 Country Club Drive #
># Elko, NV 89801 #
># 702-738-7236 #
>
>On Mon, 22 Dec 1997 brandynic8 wrote:
>

>> I'm looking for the antique recipe for marbelizing paper. I vaguely
remember someting about putting an animal agent (rabbit skin glue?) into
the water or on the paper surface? Any ideas welcome.

Wendy Sauls
Art Teacher, Kanapaha Middle School, Gainesville, FL
Doctoral Student, Art Education, Florida State University
wsauls

Respond to this message.