Date: Wed, 17 Dec 1997 20:13:00 -0600
From: Sandra Poos <klpoos>
Subject: Re: Art is NOT important

Sandy Poos asked about how to inform parents (and others) about the
importance of art to the education of children.

I believe it isn't so much a how question as it is a what question. The
essence of the problem is in that which the children take home both in
the short term and the long run. If, rather than art products alone, the
children take home something like critical thinking skills which are/can
be demonstrated in or during regular conversation, the point is
(could/should/ought to be) well taken by others. Certainly enhanced
manipulative and observational skills should be part of the desired
outcome, and of course the creative side. Not all children will come out
affected in the same way, but in the end all will be different, if not
better, for having had the experience.

The proof is in the pudding, as they say.

Lon R. Nuell, Professor of Art Education/ Commissioner, Tennessee
Commission on Holocaust Education/ Chairman,City School Board,
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Box 25, Middle Tennessee State University, Murfreesboro, Tennessee 37132

Phone: 615 898 2505 Fax: 615 898 2254

Respond to this message.