Re: multiage classes

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Mark Alexander (mamjam)
Wed, 17 Dec 1997 17:03:56 -0500

Respond to this message.

Dear Gina Bertella,

I teach in a school which has a K,1,2 multiage class. There are two superb
teachers who make an amazing team! They even finish one another's sentences
and have identical handwriting!! There are also 1.5 aids in the room, so
they can split up according to level when appropriate. The K goes home at
lunch time, and I come in to teach art to the 1 & 2 after lunch.

I've had no problems with multiage groups, although I'm a new teacher and
it seems to me to just make sense to do it this way. It is a very nurturing
experience for them, and most of the students here seem to be thriving on
it. I have been planning the art program in a two year cycle, so there
won't be any repeated lessons, but I frequently repeat concepts.

For example, last year, to introduce primary and secondary colors, we mixed
colored modeling clay with our fingers, and we painted secondary colors
with primary coloored tempera. This year I illustrated the concept with
primary colored acitate on the overhead, then they painted secondary colors
with tempera. Some of the second graders got a lot out of the review, and
those that remembered from the year before went along with the lesson.

Hope this helps,

Mark

Mark Alexander, 1-8 Art
Lee H. Kellogg School
47 Main Street
Falls Village, Connecticut 06031
U.S.A.

"The object of education is to
prepare the young to
educate themselves
throughout their lives."
Robert Hutch

At 6:48 PM 12/16/97, chilipepa wrote:
>Hello
>
>I am currently a working at a school that will be adding on a muti-age
>classroom being kindergaten and first grade.
>I need some suggestions on how a mutli-age classroom is precisely manage.
>Thank You
>Gina Bertella
>chilipepa

Respond to this message.