Re Photo silkscreen

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
JamesNairne (james.n-way.co.uk)
Wed, 10 Dec 1997 22:32:51 +0000

Respond to this message.

Sidnie Miller wrote:

> I have been attempting to make a photo (diazo emulsion)direct silk
> screen and have been quite unsuccessful. I mixed up the stuff in
> low light and used a cardboard to run it over the screen--up down
> then turn over and up and down. Then dry for 24 hours in dark. When
> I tried to expose it for 3 min all the emulsion washed right out of
> the screen. The emulsion is supposed to dry horozontally but it
> ended up with little thick drop spots. I didn't have a clue how
> long to expose. Next time I think I'll try 10 minutes, but I really
> hate wasting screens. Does anyone have any expertise in this area???
> Please let me know--I really need someone to whine on!! Sid

I think I can help.
1. Use an old plastic ruler or something very stiff. When coating the
screen "squeegee" the stuff all over but try then to scrape it off so
that the layer of emulsion is VERY thin. (scrape off excess back into
container.) The thick drop spots come when the emulsion is too thick.

2. I think your exposure needs to be longer. But what are you exposing
it to? we use an ultra violet light set in its own purpose built
cupboard. Are you using sunlight?

3. Also is the photopositive letting the light through? What are you
using?

--
James Nairne

[james.n-way.co.uk] [http://schools.sys.uea.ac.uk/deepspace/jn/] [http://schools.sys.uea.ac.uk/schoolnet/bradfield/bradfld.htm]