Re: need shoe polish info.

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Chaney (lchaney)
Tue, 09 Dec 1997 19:29:32 -0600

Respond to this message.

Melissa,

I do victorian houses out of clay with 5th graders. We use clay which fires white
and then rub solid brown shoe polish on for an antique look. The polish is rubbed
into the textured shingles, siding and details. I don' know if maybe the kids
could paint their gingerbread men tan first and then rub shoe polish on of a
darker color when dry? Just a thought.

Melissa Chaney
K-12
Midway R-1
Cleveland, MO

Melissasmi wrote:

> I searched the artsednet archives and came up with nothing...maybe I'm doing
> it wrong. Anyway, I seem to remember a post concerning using shoe polish on
> bisqueware to achieve a stained, polished look. My question: Was it the
> solid form of polish to use a cloth with or the liquid with the foam
> applicator? Thought I had red clay and it turned out to be the white. Using
> this on 2nd grade "gingerbread" figures and need a rich brown stain before
> they paint the details. One of those last minute change of
> plans/modifications I need to pull off! If you'd rather not post your answer,
> e-mail me directly. Thanks so much for the rescue! Melissa Smith

Respond to this message.