Re: internet display

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Robert Alexander Fromme (rfromme)
Sat, 09 Dec 2000 01:09:36 -0600

Respond to this message.

We have some information on simple html tags and related teacher resources
at our site:

http://www.east-central.k12.tx.us/echs/artdept/artdept.html

While you are there, check out the student galleries, etc.

We use Hotdog Pro for Win 95 and Claris HomePage for Mac. (Check out some of
the Shareware and Freeware editors on the Web. You may find something you
are happy with and avoid the expense of the big name Editors.)

Here are a few things to keep in mind:

1. Learn some basic html because the WYSIWYG HTML editors never seem to give
you clean code and you will have to clean the code later to get the images
and links to work. Basic HTML is quite easy to learn and you can learn it as
you work on the page.

2. Construct a directory (folder [MAC}) structure for the site. Build the
structure on your hard drive and then reconstruct the same structure on the
server when you are ready to upload your work. The links must read their
paths to files on the server just as they do on your hard drive.

3. You will need an FTP program to move the finished files up to the server.
I use WSFTP for Win 95 and FETCH for MAC. You will need to secure the
directory space on the server and they will give you the phone #, password,
and user name which will be needed to get into the server from your remote
location. Always make sure you are in the correct directory before you begin
to make changes on the server. One can do a lot of damage to another
person's work if several folks have access to the same area and one doesn't
know what they are doing. New files replace old files and if you are in the
wrong directory, index and default files are easy to overwrite and distroy.
When those are overwritten most of the linked materials in the directory
are not available to the Web. The origional creater must again upload the
origional files from their remote location.

4. Study other sites. Find something you like and use the View Source button
on the browser to learn how they created the pages. You can not copy their
work directly (copyright!) but once you learn how they are doing things,
you will have no trouble creating your own unique space from what you have
learned.

5. Save all of your original images in a file format such as PICT, BMP, or
TIFF, then when you have everything ready to go onto the page, create a copy
of the images (72 PPI) in either JPEG or GIF. Do not destroy your original
image file, howerver. JPEG and GIF are lossey formats and they erode each
time they are loaded, edited and re saved. If you need to change size,
color, etc. then make the changes in the original PICT, BMP, or TIFF file.
When the changes are made, then create a GIF or JPEG file from the changed
work.

6. Remember that the screen resolution is around 72 Pixels per inch so
you are foolish if you place an image on the Web with a resolution greater
then that of the computer screen. (If you do not, they will take forever to
load and may loose quality as the screen tries to change things in order to
limit its display, throwing out the extra data . You will find that if you
scan or sample the image in a higher resolution at first, you can change the
size, re sample, and edit with greater ease. Then when you are happy with
what you have created, you can re sample down to the 72 PP I and copy the
file to a GIF or JPEG format to upload
7.When you re sample an image, never go up in physical size unless you can
drop the resolution at about the same percentage at the same time. If you
try to make an image larger while keeping the resolution the same, then you
can expect the thing to get the "Jagging" or pixelate on you. If you re
sample down, in size or in resolution, then walk the dimension or resolution
down in steps so that the software can interpolate or re sample the pixel
data in several steps, keeping a closer average of the color, value, etc. in
the image as you make the changes.

8. Join some of the HOME lists on the Net, then lurk and learn. Many of
those folks are real pros and enjoy helping just as we find friendly folks
on our listserve of art teachers.

9. Stay away from Java script, Java and ActiveX at first and design your
page for both MAC and Windows platforms. MAC browsers only display about
2/3rds of the width that the Windows platforms display, depending upon the
screen settlings, etc. In other words if you design the page on a Mac, it
will seem cramped to your left in the Windows browser, while if you design
on a Windows machine using the full 800 pixel width, the Mac browser can
display only part of your work when it is viewed on a Mac. You will need
to get several browsers and use both platforms to do the job right.This
involves working back and forth to check your work. You will also have to
come to terms with just how far back into browser history you need to make
your pages compatable. Many old browsers will make a mess of your work
simply because they are not able to read contemporary tags. We are still
trying to come to terms with these problem at our site.

10. Keep in mind that the site will be a "work in progress" and you will be
expected to keep working with it into the future. It will take more time
then you expect if you plan to do a good job with the project.

Good luck,
Bob

At 08:50 PM 12/8/97 -0500, you wrote:
>I would like to have information about putting up a website using
>Macintosh computers and software. We have a digital camera to use for
>inputting images. Would this work? Also, are those new software packages
>that claim no html code to do any good? Anyone who has good information
>will help those of us who want to start. We would like to display student
>work much like some of the other web sites I've seen. Fran
>
>On Mon, 8 Dec 1997, Ann Wilschke wrote:
>
>> My eighth graders have just completed a unit on linoleum prints.
>> I have some fine ones which I would like to have displayed on the
>> Internet. I am wondering how to go about this. If you have done this or
>> have knowledge of the site I would appreciate hearing from you. Thanks.
>>
>> Ann Wilschke
>> Upton Middle School
>> St. Joseph, Mi.

Robert Fromme <rfromme> or <rfromme>