Re: latino art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
kathleen vales (vales01)
Sat, 6 Dec 1997 18:56:17 -0500 (EST)

Respond to this message.

If you are interested in Latino art (I missed the original posting, are you
looking for only contemporary?) check out an artist named
Coco Fusco. She has done alot of
very interesting performances with what she says deals w/ the 'colonial
condition'. She discusses such issues as racism, gender inequalities and
stereotypes, and other ideas that to this affect (which usually stem back to
issues that eurocentric colonization have caused in western civilizations)
If I recall correctly, she did a
collaborative performance w/ Guillermo Gomez-Pena... Couple In A Cage.

-Kathy
SUNY New Paltz
vales01

beth wrote:

> I received:
>
> Jose--are you familiar with Guillermo Gomez-Pena's performance art and
>
> writings? He is an amazing artist, fearless about raising highly
>
> controversial issues, and was awarded a MacArthur fellowship (a "genius"
>
> grant) for his work. I recently found a book on his work, WARRIOR FOR
>
> GRINGOSTROIKA, Graywolf Press, ISBN I-55597-199-7
>
> I would like to add to the reading list Gomez-Pena and Roberto Sifuentes'
> book, "Temple of Confessions: Mexican Beasts and Living Santos." It
> describes an incredible exhibition they created in several locations which
> confronts and challenges cultural assumptions and racism. ISBN 1-57687-004-9.
>
> Beth
>

> Elizabeth B. Reese
> Doctoral Candidate
> The Pennsylvania State University