Fwd: classroom teachers

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Mcracker
Wed, 3 Dec 1997 22:05:03 -0500 (EST)

Respond to this message.

In a message dated 97-12-03 09:46:46 EST, holmgren writes:

<< I am taking a class on graduation standards, along with a number of k-2
grade classroom teachers from my school. This week we were looking at the
10 high standards, and discussing how we are all already implementing
them in our classrooms. Anyway, the instructor asked what I, as an art
teacher would like to have the classroom teachers work on, in their >>

Mary-
This is a wonderful opportunity! All sorts of things zoomed through my brain,
but I think that the one thing that might really be beneficial to have
classroom teachers do--that they could manage, even if they are terrified of
art, as many seem to be,--would be to have the kids spend time every day, if
possible, drawing from observation. The kinds of concentration and focus
needed to really observe would be beneficial in any area of study -- and
might be a very calming experience for those kids with ADHD we seem to see
more and more. Imagine what an image storehouse kids would have if they drew
from life everyday during elementary school!
It would be even better if the teacher could also incorporate some art
criticism ("Choose the drawing you have made with the most value contrast for
a display on the concept of contrast. If we look at all of the works, how
many different values do we have? Which ones have the greatest degree of
contrast? Which have the least? How do these differences change the mood or
feeling of the drawing?etc.) and then some art history where maybe some high
and low contrast works are examined. Examine works from many cultures--which
depend on high and low degrees of contrast. I digress.......but they could
write about their observations, write poetry or music about contrast, look
for contrasts in sound or living conditions or temperatures, etc. --all from
a daily drawing experience!
Marcia