Re: artsednet-digest V2 #471

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
cindy lundy (clundy)
Wed, 3 Dec 1997 16:40:13 -0700

Respond to this message.

Responding to the message of Thu, 20 Nov 1997 11:55:10 -0800 (PST)
from owner-artsednet-digest.edu (artsednet-digest):

> artsednet-digest Thursday, November 20 1997 Volume 02 : Number
> 471
>

> This edition includes :
> Re: A&E.A: Questioning Strategy
> Re: A&E.A Goldsworthy studio lesson plan
> Re: kids CAN do more
> Re: colored sand
> Re: Teacher Burnout
> Re: a&e.o - Individuality/Personality
> Re: judy chicago
> Comprehensive arts education vs DBAE
> Window Painting
> "Bye-Bye Birdie"
> Re: How can we help make one time visits or brief art experience
> portfolios and career video
> Re: Life Drawing+Thanks
> Re: "Bye-Bye Birdie"
> The Web of Life: The Art of John Biggers
> Re: old linoleum
> A&E.O lesson plan--womens bodies in feminist art
> Re: a&e.o - Individuality/Personality
> Re: kids CAN do more
> Re: a&e.o - Individuality/Personality

> Date: Wed, 19 Nov 1997 22:21:14 -0800 (PST)
> From: Emily Agnes Thomas <eat>
> Subject: Re: A&E.A: Questioning Strategy
>
> I don't know exactly what grade you are teaching or much about the mask
> but...I know it is important with anything that might not be considered
> "art" in culture (because that culture might not categorize everything
> like the Western culture), to address that concept and the fact that many
> museums take these objects out of context of their original setting and
> attempt to interpret them. Some attempts at this are more successful than
> others. Maybe you could bring in information about the Yaqui
> culture...Show a video where these masks are use and ask questions
> regarding the differences they see in our culture and theirs...placing no
> judgements yet acknowledging the differences. Just a suggestion. Might
> bring up a lot of interesting comments/questions about differing ways
> people perceive art and their environment.
> - - Emily Thomas (Art Administration graduate student U of Oregon)

I LIKE YOUR IDEA ON YAQUI MASKS.
ANOTHER QUESTION YOU COULD ASK IS:
WOULD YOU HANG ONE OF THESE MASK ON YOUR WALL?
OR
DO YOU THINK THIS MASK SYMBOLIZES SOMETHING IN A CULTURE? IF SO, CAN YOU
THINK OF ANY OTHER SYMBOLS USED IN YOUR CULTURE OR OTHER CULTURES?
OR
WHAT DO YOU THINK A SYMBOL IS USED FOR?

FROM CINDY