Fwd: "Parents Guide to the Internet" Released

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
betti longinotti (p-lstudio)
Tue, 2 Dec 1997 20:52:22 -0500

Respond to this message.

--WebTV-Mail-1864794547-12367

Thought you all might be interested in this.

In Art & Life,
Betti L.
p-lstudio
or on the www at
http://www.angelfire.com/nc/plstudio

--WebTV-Mail-1864794547-12367

Date: Tue, 2 Dec 1997 16:57:03 -0500
Sender: owner-edinfo
From: Kirk_Winters (Kirk Winters)
To: "Information from & about the U.S. Department of Education publications
& more ." <edinfo>
Subject: "Parents Guide to the Internet" Released

A "PARENTS GUIDE to the Internet" was announced today by the
Vice President at the *Internet Online Summit: Focus on
Children* in Washington, D.C. (see note below).

The 16-page booklet gives parents an introduction to the
Internet & "is intended," notes Secretary Riley, "to help
parents -- regardless of their level of technological know-
how -- make use of the on-line world as an important
educational tool." It can help answer questions such as...

> What can families without Internet access do to *get*
access?

> What should families consider when buying a computer or
selecting an Internet service provider?

> What are some *tips* for ensuring that children have
safe, productive & enjoyable experiences on the
Internet?

A glossary of Internet terms is included in the guide,
which was produced by the Department's Office of Educational
Research & Improvement and Office of Educational Technology
in collaboration with leaders from parent & education
organizations, the private sector, nonprofit organizations
& others. The full text is at:
http://www.ed.gov/pubs/parents/internet/

Single paper copies are available
by calling 1-800-USA-LEARN.

Below is an excerpt that features Internet sites for parents
& children.

Note: The Internet Online Summit is being held "to
bring together public interest groups, the computer &
communications industries, government, & citizens to
address ways to help ensure that the Internet online
experience is safe, educational, & entertaining for
children." For information on the summit -- including
how to listen to the proceedings, which are being
broadcast live using RealAudio -- please see:
http://www.kidsonline.org/

Sites Along the Way
>From "Parents Guide to the Internet"
U.S. Department of Education, November 1997

This section offers a sampling of some Internet sites waiting for
you & your children. (Addresses are current as of November 1997
but may change at any time. If an address does not work, use the
search feature on your Web browser to enter the site name & get
the updated link).

Family-Friendly Places
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* The Franklin Institute Science Museum http://sln.fi.edu/
offers online exhibits on an array of science & technology
topics.

* Find good books to read, including Newbery & Caldecott Award
Winners, at the American Library Association site
http://www.ala.org/parents/index.html. This site includes
information about authors, KidsConnect (for help locating
all the information online), & educational games.

* Watch "Live from Mars," audio & video transmissions of the
Pathfinder's explorations, at NASA's Quest Project site
http://quest.arc.nasa.gov. Find more adventures in space,
including views from the Hubble Space Telescope, at a
different NASA site http://spacelink.nasa.gov.

* Climb Mt. Everest, explore inside the Pyramids, & go on
other electronic field trips with the Public Broadcasting
System at http://www.pbs.org/. Preschool children can enjoy
children's programming here, elementary school children can
practice story telling, & teenagers & adults can take
telecourses.

* Join an interactive exploration of the oceans, on earth &
beyond, with the Jason Project http://www.jasonproject.org.

* Puzzle over optical illusions, take memory tests, & conduct
experiments, online & off, at the Exploratorium
http://www.exploratorium.edu.

* Enjoy materials from the Library of Congress
http://www.loc.gov, including exhibits on topics ranging
from ballet to Jelly Roll Morton, Native American flutes to
Thomas Jefferson's pasta machine.

* Read stories with your children, let them add to the stories
told around the Global Campfire, & find links to other good
family sites at Parents & Children Together Online
http://www.indiana.edu/~eric_rec/fl/pcto/menu.html.

* Get educational resources through distance learning from
Healthlinks http://www.mcet.edu/healthlinks/index.html.

* Find information on blocking software from Netparents at
http://www.netparents.org.

* Try the Air Force's new family-friendly site for kids at
http://www.af.mil/aflinkjr.

Megasites (extensive links)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* "50+ Great Sites for Kids & Parents," from the American
Library Association (ALA) enables preschool through
elementary school children to explore rainbows, black
history, castles for kids, award-winning news reported by
children for children, the Kids Web Page Hall of Fame, to
say nothing of watching dolphins, learning lullabies, & much
more http://www.ssdesign.com/parentspage/greatsites/50.html.

* Jean Armour Polly's "Fifty Extraordinary Experiences for
Internet Kids" invites viewers to make their own home page,
visit the Kremlin, look inside the human heart, take Socks'
special VIP tour of the White House, & make a boat trip
around the world
http://www.well.com/user/polly/ikyp.exp.html.

* Berit's "Best Sites for Children" helps you learn about
earthquakes, visit the imagination factory & make junk mail
jewelry, descend into a volcano, tour a human cell, go on a
world "surfari," solve a crime, & fly a kite
http://db.cochran.com/db_HTML:theopage.db.

* Steve Savitzky's "Interesting Places for Kids" is an
award-winning site in its own right with many unusual links
http://www.crc.ricoh.com/people/steve/kids.html.

Online Reference Material
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* The American Academy of Pediatrics' http://www.aap.org has a
wide variety of information for parents concerning their
children's health & well-being; covering topics such as
immunizations, sleep problems, newborn care, & television.

* The National Urban League http://www.nul.org is a useful
resource for tracking programs & events related to
African-American issues. It is a rich reference area for
students, parents, teachers & history buffs.

* AskERIC, a free question-answering service provided by the
Educational Resources Information Center (ERIC), invites
people to submit their questions about education, parenting,
& child development to askeric for an e-mail
response within 2 working days.

* B.J. Pinchbeck's "Homework Helper" is a wonderful guide to
encyclopedias, dictionaries, reference works, & other
resources on a great variety of subjects
http://tristate.pgh.net/~pinch13/. The enthusiasm of its
10-year-old creator adds appeal to everything from the
Ultimate White Pages to Bugs in the News.

* "My Virtual Reference Desk" http://www.refdesk.com offers
dozens of links -- to dictionaries, encyclopedias,
reference/research materials, thesauruses, atlases, sports,
entertainment, & much more -- as well as a search engine for
locating more information.

* The "Internet Public Library: Reference Center"
http://www.ipl.org/ref provides an "ask a question" feature
& a teen collection, as well as sections on reference, arts
& humanities, science & technology, & education.

Sites for Parents & Parent Groups
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* The Children's Partnership
http://www.childrenspartnership.org offers, for free, the
full text of its useful guide, "The Parents' Guide to the
Information Superhighway: Rules & Tools for Families
Online," prepared with the National PTA & the National Urban
League. A printed version of the guide, which provides
common-sense guidance & encouragement for parents & tips &
computer activities for children, is available for $8 from
The Children's Partnership, 1351 Third Street Promenade,
Suite 206, Santa Monica, CA 90401-1321; 310-260-1220.

* The National Parent Information Network http://npin.org
cosponsored by the ERIC Clearinghouses on Elementary & Early
Childhood Education & Urban Education, includes extensive
articles on parenting, listservs, & links to more than 100
sites on education, health & safety, family issues &
interests, & parenting & development of children from
infancy to adolescence.

* At the National PTA site http://www.pta.org/ learn about PTA
education programs & participate in a discussion group, chat
room, or bulletin board. The site also includes links to
sites of many organizations concerned with children.

* The Family Education Network http://www.familyeducation.com
offers hundreds of brief articles on parenting, links to
local sites, & discussion boards that connect parents with
online experts.

* The Partnership for Family Involvement in Education
http://www.ed.gov/PFIE sponsored by the U.S. Department of
Education, highlights school-community-business partnerships
& includes a calendar of events. At the home page for the
Department of Education http://www.ed.gov, parents will find
information about the President's education initiatives,
college financial aid, & parenting publications, along with
links to other useful education sites.

* The National Coalition for Parental Involvement in Education
http://www.ncpie.org/ provides a catalog of resources
available from all its member organizations.

* The National Coalition of Title I/Chapter 1 Parents
202-547-9286 helps economically disadvantaged parents
develop skills to enhance the quality of their children's
education.

* Parent Soup http://www.parentsoup.com includes an archive of
answers to questions asked of pediatricians & child
development experts & advice about helping your children
succeed in school.

* The Parents at Home site http://advicom.net/~jsm/moms,
especially for at-home parents, offers e-mail pen pals, a
booklist, & links to children's sites.

* Magellan http://www.mckinley.com/magellan uses a rating
scale to evaluate parenting sites. To look at the ratings
or follow the links, select Reviews, Life & Style, Family, &
Parenting.

* The ASPIRA Association, Inc. http://www.incacorp.com/aspira
highlights its two national parent involvement programs --
ASPIRA Parents for Educational Excellence Program (APEX) &
Teachers, Organizations, & Parents for Students Program
(TOPS). Each program provides a Spanish/English curriculum
that strives to empower Latino parents & families.

* The White House web site
http://www.whitehouse.gov/WH/New/Ratings describes a
strategy to involve government, industry, parent, & teachers
in putting together a rating system so parents can define
material they consider offensive & protect their children
effectively.