(no subject)

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
elizabeth garber (egarber)
Tue, 2 Dec 1997 15:56:20 -0700

Respond to this message.

Jose,

I can't tell much from your lesson as presented. I hope to hear more before
you are done. There is a section on the Chicana/o Art Website ("Chicana
and Chicano Space: An Inquiry-Based Art Education Resource,") on protest &
persuasion. Have you visited it? It's at:

http://mati.eas.asu.edu:8421/ChicanArte

I'd want to frame my protest & persuasion unit in the context of other
Latino/a art because students in the US are most likely not going to know
much about the subject and I'd want them to have more breadth.

Elizabeth Garber

******************
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 1997 09:49:10 -0400
From: jose rosa <rosa.3>
Subject: A&E.O lesson plan

Hello, my name is Jose Rosa. I am writing a lesson on Latino art that
reflects issues of protest and persuasion and I would appreciate any
feedback on these topics. The following is a brief summary of the lesson
plan. It is intended for high school students.
Social revolution and political overthrow have been nothing new to Latino
cultures throughout the years. In many cultures, artists have created
artworks intended to bring about protest and bring attention to ideas that
can result in change. Tied throughout the artwork of protest and persuasion
are many complex issues including religion, politics, national identity,
education, history, and social class. At this point I would want the
students to think about how these issues may affect them in their lives
now. The artists I have researched so far are Diego Rivera and Jose
Guadalupe Posada. Rivera is a well known Mexican muralist who wanted his
murals to reflect the Mexican masses. He sought to educate those who could
not read visually with his murals. The key artwork for Rivera would be
"Revolt and the New Religion". Posada used printmaking techniques to depict
images of death and the campesinos, or farm workers. Posada worked during
the time of the Mexican Revolution. His key artwork would be "Calavera
Revolucionaria". With this and more historical information students wuld be
expected to identify protest and persuasion as subject matter in artwork,
organize ideas about meaning and better understand the historical/social
context of the murals, posters, etc.
For a studio activity a demonstration on mural painting or printmaking
would be done followed by a discussion on examples of protest/persuasion in
our lives today, and for them to create themes of protest and persuasion
that they are willing to convert into an artpiece using what they have
learned from the lesson.

- --This is a very rough draft, and more information needs to be
incorporated, but any feedback would help. Thank you.

Elizabeth Garber, Ph.D. office phone: 520.621.9304
Associate Professor of Art fax: 520.621.2955
University of Arizona email: egarber
Department of Art, PO 210002 home phone: 520.740.1529

Tucson, AZ 85721.0002
USA

Respond to this message.