The flakey kiln wash shelves Mystery

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Patricia Munce (pdmun)
Sat, 28 Dec 1996 18:39:50 -0800

>From Pat Munce,

>>Obviously, it is shrinking off so you have to work back from that.
>
>>Try adding to the kiln wash a very fine grog that, of course, is fired
>>already. Also reduce the China Clay.

>Dear Pat,
>
>Your suggestions are worth a try. Many people have written back regarding
>some of the obvious solutions, i.e. try wetting the shelf first, try thinner
>coats, etc. I've tried all those without much success. But, I like this
>"fine grog" idea - I'll let you know how it works.

Good luck. I think the wetting of the shelf first is useless. As
I said, it must be shrinking off.
Water will not help this. Your shelf is not going to expand
anymore and then shrink again. At least
I think not. This is such a scientific field and I feel like we
get to play with the physics and chemistry.
Therefore every load is different. Anyway it is fun and always an
adventure. Try getting a tax
accountant to say that about his or her work.

> I've only subscribed to this list for about a month now. But, I've noticed
>almost all my responses to this question have been via private e-mail. Why
>don't people post responses to the mailing list? Is that frowned upon in
>this group? I'm just curious, because on most other mailing lists, the folks
>reply through the lists then everybody gets the benefit of hearing all the
>possible solutions. Is private e-mail responses the way of this group?

>>Dwight Dulsky

I use a Mac at home and my Eudora Lite email software has a reply
option that is just quick to use
and it obviously sends to just you. To send to the whole list I
have to do something else with a little
more effort. It seems the rest of your responders are like me.
Its easier to write you and fast.

This is being sent to the whole list. I had to copy your message
and do a new message to the Getty list.
I am real l l l l l l ly lazy. Gosh, I will have to take a
Christmas nap and then go for some apple pie. Darn.

California is 60 degrees and mostly grey today. We did get about 3
hours of sun. Ugh. I guess I
could work on lesson plans or work on my dream of making my first
million before I retire. A friend
who sells his pots at fairs, said that to me last month on a very
slow sales day. Actually, he was hoping
to make it before 40 but failed. I just changed the goal a little.

Pat Munce
pdmun