Early finishers

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Angela M. Kimbler (amkimbler)
Tue, 10 Dec 1996 12:36:01 EST

>From: carrml
>Date: Sun, 8 Dec 1996 16:02:56 -0800 (PST)
>Subject: Re: more help!
>
>Does anyone have any brilliant ideas on what to do when students are
>finished art projects early. In all my years of teaching, I have yet
>to come up with something good. Sometimes I go ahead with the next
>project, explaining it to everyone and some times I have students who
>are finished do an extention of the work they just finished. If they
>are given free time to do what they like, they usually don't do
>anything. Often half the class will be finished and the rest, still
>working away. If any one has a tried and true solution to this problem
>I would be glad to hear about it!

What grade students you teaching? I teach 4 years through 5th grade.
The four year olds, I space out. I give them a certain amount of time to
draw, then they may color, (or whatever)

The Fifth graders are allowed to work at their own pace. The early
finishers are given another related project. I do have a final cut off
date, after this date, unfinished work is put into a "holding" folder.
On "workday" each student finishes up any unfisnished work. This is
absolutely the last day to work on any of these projects. Students that
are completely finished with everything, may have a "special project" in
other words, they may work on a project of their own choice. They really
will work so they can have the "free" day.

Angie