Re: [Fwd: Wanted: art teachers who actually make art, sell

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Jeff Young (jyoung)
Wed, 4 Dec 1996 14:37:43 CST6CDT

Margaret Grosspietsch wrote (in part):

>class tonight how principles of math are taught in math (not how to be a
>mathematician or what the mathematician's life is like), principles of science
>are taught in science (versus what the scientist's life is like), principles of
>grammar, communication, literature, etc. are taught in language arts (versus
>modleing the role of a writer) and then we debated why art instruction has
>deviated from the approaches of these other disciplines by having the student
>focus on "being an artist" first and, if principles about the world of art are
>taught, those often come second. . . .

>My classmates and I are from all walks of life, but we share in common having
>first pursued degrees in studio art at one time or another (some of us currently
>produce, some of us don't), and we're now pursuing masters degrees in art
>education. The urge to teach and help foster the development and growth of
>others is as strong if not stronger than the urge to create, for me.

Margaret brings up an interesting point. I can't play basketball
worth a flip (ask the guys I play with every week), but I think I
could teach someone the basics of the game and share a love of the
game. Then if they need more, they can hunt down Michael Jordon or
Phil Jackson. For me personally, it has been very important to produce art
as well as teach art, and I think it helps me be a better teacher.
One of my art mentors though does not produce art, and I think I
learned more about art from him than from anyone else. He seemed to
know what questions to ask me, what directions to guide me, when to
kick me in the behind (not that I needed real kicks or needed kicks very
often).

I think you learn from everybody. From all kinds of everybody. Some
everybodys you might learn more from than others.

If someone has dedicated their life to the study of art (whether they make it,
write about it, think about it, learn how to teach it), then you can
learn from that person.

Part of learning is a search for the persons who can teach you the
most.

Jeff

Jeff Young
Assistant Professor, Art Education